Tuesday, April 01, 2008

My first catch!

So I had a birth earlier today - the mom was a few days past her due date and had scheduled this a few weeks ago in case she hadn't had the baby by now.
They checked in to the hospital and asked me to come about 8:30 - it seemed like I was there way too early! She was barely having any contractions for most of the morning. We chatted, watched Rachel Ray's talk show and pretty much just hung out. The nurse kept increasing the pitocin every half hour or so. At 12:15 she checked the mom and mom was 4 cm - a whopping 1 cm more than she'd been when they admitted her! I braced for the long haul (as inductions often are). Contractions picked up and became fairly regular not long after that.
Nurse came back at 1:10 to take vital signs and said she would return at 2 to check mom's cervix. She increased the pitocin again. Just two contractions later, the mom said "I think I have to push!" and a few seconds later, "I think the baby is right there!" So we had the nurse come back - she checked the mom at 1:20 and said mom was dilated to a 6 now.
Mom was still feeling lots and lots of pressure and that she HAD to push, so I helped mom get on hands & knees to try & relieve some of that pressure while the cervix finished dilating. The nurse turned the pitocin down and started setting up the sterile stuff for delivery.
On the very next contraction mom gave a HUGE push and the nurse checked again: 9 cm! So the nurse ran out to the nurses station to call the doctor to come. (His office is in the building right next door) Mom gave another great big push and said "Here he comes!" and I stepped over and looked and saw about 3 inches of the baby's head!
I grabbed some gloves (I always wear them during pushing) and when I turned back around as I put them on, the head was OUT! The dad, mom & I were the only ones there!
Since mom was still on her hands & knees, I didn't want the baby to fall, so I put out my hands and I CAUGHT THE BABY!
It was 1:35 - only 5 minutes from 6 cm to birth. Truly amazing how fast that happened.
Nurse came back in with a CNM who happened to be on the floor and they took care of cutting the cord, making sure baby was fine, the placenta, etc. We saw the doctor running full speed across the parking lot just moments later. He arrived breathless just after the placenta. I think he took the stairs.
HOLY COW! It was amazing to have this little boy just come into my hands so quickly.
(Updates on lots of other stuff coming tomorrow, I'm too tired right now.)

3 Comments:

Blogger Utahdoula said...

PS Happy April Fool's Day! All details of the above story are true, except the nurse actually walked back into the room just in time to get ONE glove on and catch the baby. But I ALMOST caught!

7:14 PM  
Blogger Real said...

You know, I was reading this and thinking, "Surely that's not what she said in the email to me!" And I was just quickly going to read this comment before opening up that email again. HOw could I miss something like that?!?! LOL!

So, you got me. I think you got me last year, too.

7:26 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Yes, you got me too. But even without the catch, what a job!

Dad

10:43 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home