Friday, March 07, 2008

Spring is Springing!


The last few weeks I have been way too busy living life to blog about it, especially since it sometimes seems no one is reading. But here's a big update of all that has been going on.
Last Friday & Saturday we had the Utah Doula Association conference. I was not in charge this year, thankfully, but I am secretary/treasurer and handled registration, which did keep me pretty busy. I also headed up fundraising for a conference scholarship program, which paid for 2 people to come to this conference plus raised almost $300! It may not sound like much, but I'm happy with it, as it is enough to provide 2 scholarships for the next 2 conferences.



We've had parent/teacher conferences over the last 2 weeks as well. Everyone's doing well.
I've had lots of prenatal visits and some private childbirth classes in addition to my hospital classes. Plus a few events for the Midwives' College. I took Dec-March off from births and enjoyed the break, but now I am busy, busy, busy again! It's good but an adjustment. I am booked through July at this point!
We've enjoyed the nice weather, the other day we all walked to the library:


But the melting snow has revealed an ominous looking dip around our water meter!


Wednesday was a VERY busy day! First I held an online chat/lecture for one of my MCU classes, then I had an appointment to put in my passport application in preparation for going to this year's doula conference in Vancouver, British Columbia. I am really looking forward to this one. After that, we had Brynn's parent-teacher conference. Then I volunteered in kindergarten from 12:15-1:45 and went over to Callie's class to be the Art Mom from 2-3. Walked home with the kids and supervised homework until it was time for Callie's conference. Then we looked at the school art show (more on that later) and headed home for dinner. Then Darrin headed to the Family History Library while I handled cleanup, baths, finishing homework and off to bed.
This year I have been volunteering in Callie's class as the "Art Mom" where once a month I go teach the kids about an artist and a technique, then we do a project imitating the artist's style. It's really fun! There is a big art show every spring with parent teacher conferences, So Tuesday I spent a couple hours choosing the best project for each kid, labeling them and hanging them up in the cafeteria. Here's Callie's class display:


And Callie's best - a collage inspired by Matisse: (You can click on the artists' name to see the original painting.)



Another of Callie's, this one inspired by Van Gogh:



While I am not the Art Mom for Brynn's class, I can't help but show off some of her work from the art show. This one is inspired by Pollock:


And finally, this one inspired by Picasso:


So while it has been busy these last few weeks it has also been a good few weeks. next week promises to be even busier! I've particularly enjoyed watching my hyacinth bulbs grow and bloom on the window sill by my desk. They make the office smell so good!

5 Comments:

Blogger Brother Doug said...

That art project is SUCH a good idea--I would love to hear the comments kids make as you discuss different artists.

10:52 AM  
Blogger Brother Doug said...

Oh, and by the way, I search through family blogs daily though I hardly never post, that's true...

10:54 AM  
Blogger Real said...

I also check in at least daily, even though you almost never post that frequently. :P

11:45 AM  
Blogger Bonnie said...

Andrea, I LOVE the art projects! I think it's a good idea to talk about art and artists early, too, because they will always remember them. How fun.

9:23 PM  
Blogger timdonaldson said...

Great stuff, really impressive art!

7:42 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home