Friday, February 22, 2008

Someday.....

Flash back to 1992, Darrin & I were newlyweds and had just moved to Glendale CA. I had planned to continue with school there, but the State of California had a big problem: the state legislature wouldn't agree on a budget, which meant they weren't authorizing any funding, and when the fiscal year ended, the state could not spend money.
It was a weird situation. The state was laying off non-critical employees and paying critical employees with IOUs, which the banks were honoring as interest-free loans.
One thing they did was close all state schools to new admissions. Which left only private universities taking new students, and the price tag was just too high.
So I started looking for a job. And I looked and looked and looked. Had 3-4 interviews a week for a good month, and no one hired me.
It was hard! Looking for a job, you're really putting yourself out for other people's evaluation, and to get passed over time and time again was rough on my feelings of self worth.
One day, Darrin tore this headline out of the paper and gave it to me:

He told me I should just persevere and someday it would happen for me. I taped it inside the lid of my jewelry box.
Fast forward to Wednesday of this week. I had just finished teaching a series of private childbirth classes to two great couples, and I came home and was getting ready for bed. My jewelry box was standing open and I saw the headline and thought "My job prince HAS come!" Of course, If my job is my prince, I am officially a polygamist! I have not just one job I love, but two! Teaching at the hospital is fun and rewarding. Teaching at the midwives' college is challenging and interesting. And running my own business doing doula work and private classes is all of the above!
So my Job Prince has come, and I feel so blessed to be able to do work that I love and am passionate about.

3 Comments:

Blogger Real said...

Yes, you are one lucky woman to have THREE jobs that you love and not a one of them keeps you from being a stay at home mom, too.

6:59 AM  
Blogger Brother Doug said...

FEB 25 THROUGH MARCH 6

No blog entry? It's like missing an episode of Northern Exposure. You fans may be a quiet brood, but we're still hooked on the program.

12:54 PM  
Blogger timdonaldson said...

Nothing like those few hellish months being beaten into the ground by Southern California, huh? Going back to Glendale is always more touble an it is worth, believe me. That stupid left exit off of 110 onto Hwy 5...

7:44 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home