Monday, July 21, 2008

The Aquarium

After the harbor cruise, I walked back into Stanley Park, grabbed some lunch at a small cafe, and went to the Vancouver Aquarium, which is a very nice one! I took a ton of pictures - several hundred! The light indoors made it challenging to get great pictures inside, but I got a few halfway good ones:





Outside was MUCH beter! I used the burst setting to get some nice ones of the dolphins, belugas, and otter. So for your viewing enjoyment, here they are:





The beluga just had a baby about a month ago. In fact, you can watch the birth here:

The water was MUCH clearer when that video was shot than it was when I was there, but I still managed some good photos. It's kind of hard to tell, but in the first one the baby is nursing!


This is the grandmother beluga, she was in a separate smaller tank because she kept wanting to take over and push the real mom out of the way.

As I was leaving, I noticed that the staff was giving one of the dolphins an ultrasound.

While another staff member played with the tank mate to keep him out of the way:


When they were done, the tank mate was happy to be released:

But the one getting the ultrasound was even happier!

And then I took my poor, tired body and hoofed it back to my hotel. I estimate a took 10 miles of walking in one day! Good thing the rest of my trip was pretty much just sitting around....

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home