Sunday, February 18, 2007

I know I am old - but I'm not THAT old!

Do I look old to you?

So earlier this week, Brynn & I were in Wal-Mart buying Valentines. As Brynn was looking at the boxes and trying to choose, an elderly man came over to her and handed her something, and told her to show it to her grandma. Now Brynn and I were the only people in the aisle other than this man, so he obviously was referring to me!
I know, I am no longer the spring chicken I once was. As I approach my 36th birthday, I know I am not such a young thing any more. But still, I am getting sick of these kinds of comments!
This was not the first time. One week last summer I had both of the following incidents happen - in the same week!
1. I went to get my hair cut, and the stylist went on and on and on about how lucky I was to not have a single gray hair on my head. Did I know how unusual it is to not have gray hair at my age? (Sheesh - I'd just turned 35!)
2. Went to a family party with Darrin's huge extended family - the family is huge, so huge there are often people there I don't know. (Remember, 45+ cousins, aunts, uncles etc.) One woman (who I know her name, but not how she's related) saw me holding my neice, Dave & Jenny's youngest. She was tiny at the time. I noticed her a few times looking at me oddly, then she finally came over to me and said "I kept thinking how scandalous it was that you had a baby at your age, but I just realized that this baby is probably your granddaughter, not your daughter. I was so relieved!"
I was speechless for a moment. Marti saved me by saying, actually, this is her neice." and distracting the woman into another conversation.

2 Comments:

Blogger Leslie Behunin said...

That is terrible! I can't believe anyone would say that! Some people's children! Since I'm only 18 months behind you, I think we're looking pretty good!!!

7:28 PM  
Blogger Brother Doug said...

Yeah, well imagine having someone ask you if you want a senior citizen's discount and when you laugh and tell them how old you are they tell you you qualified last year!

5:55 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home