Tuesday, September 16, 2008

Happy Birthday Grandma!


I can't believe she would be 90 today. I miss her!



Kyra has few memories of her. She remembers the half-size cans of root beer that Grandma bought just for her and let her drink with a straw. She remembers that she made a Halloween ghost decoration grandma hung from her chandelier that later scared her to death in the middle of the night. She remembers grandma hugging her and telling her she was a good girl and very "purdy". She remembers grandma playing patty cake in the waiting room of the doctors. And that's about it.
Callie, of course, has no memories since she was only 5 months old when grandma died. We only have one picture of the two of them together and my scanner isn't working so I can't post it.
All this was brought to the surface today as I attended a beautiful birth before the sun rose today. The mom asked me what the birthday was a few minutes after the birth and when I replied "Your son's birthday is September 16" I remembered. And I haven't stopped remembering all day.
If anyone else is remembering grandma today, please share a memory or two in the comments.

2 Comments:

Blogger Brother Doug said...

Well, I remember how excited you all would become when it was your individual time to spend a weekend with Grandma. I hope you all remember walking through the streets of Menlo Park with her. I wonder if Andrea has any actual memories of attending the fashion show @ Stanford Mall with her Grandma.

I remember how one of you liked to create her own world in Grandma's "office" and how it was college football weekend for the boys.

I remember when we all gathered at the park near her home when Aunt Kay and then, later, Aunt Grace visited.

I remember my last big walk with my mom up along the wooded trails of San Antonio park behind Los Altos and how, looking back,the first signs of her illness were beginning to show.

I remember taking her to a Tabernacle Choir broadcast and then back into Idaho for a picnic at the Blackfoot Potatoe Museum with Sarah and children--what a joy those final couple of years were for her. Those new adventures defied years and years of being a homebody.

Alright, that's all I can take--here come the tears. I'm starting to hear the lyrics to that old, old song "What'll I Do?" in my mind. I miss her too.

6:29 AM  
Blogger timdonaldson said...

I remember going swimming at her pool with Ben when we were staying up there. We started to have holding our breath under water contests and Grandma made us stop because it made her nervous.
I remember her wishing for a gun to shoot the birds on the line outside.
I remember walking to the store to get stuff for sandwiches and Hawaiian Punch and a sports magazine, and her saying bread and butter everytime the telephone pole separated us.

10:39 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home