Saturday, September 15, 2007

Raising Arizona




So last weekend I went to the Lamaze International conference just outside Phoenix Arizona. It was a good conference, lots of great info and I enjoyed getting to know lots of other childbirth educators. It was a little odd to be one of the youngest in the room, since locally I am one of the "old-timers". This year marks TEN years I have been teaching! I only know of three women locally who have been teaching longer than I have. But at the conference I was surrounded by women who have been teaching 25 years + !! Including one woman I sat next to at dinner one night who started teaching in 1962!
As you can see, the conference was at a beautiful resort hotel in the middle of the desert. I was mostly inside air conditioned conference rooms the whole time, but it sure felt good to step out in the heat between sessions! I went swimming late one night in the pools and it was very relaxing.
I was able to see and have dinner with a good friend of mine, Cassi, who convinced me I would be a good doula and helped me get started. She moved to Arizona a few years ago and no longer does birth work, but I couldn't pass up the opportunity to see her again! We went out to dinner at the Melting Pot and had a great time!


This week has been frantically busy trying to catch up after being gone. But you don't need to hear about the mounds of dirty laundry and all the canning & freezing of garden produce. So I'll just stop here.

2 Comments:

Blogger Leslie Behunin said...

I've never been to The Melting Pot but I have heard you could be there for 3 hours. That's my kind of eating!!!! I'm glad you had a great time. Yesterday Jared and I were stopped behind a minivan that had a zillion bumper stickers all about natural birth, breastfeeding, pro-life, etc. I told Jared that lady would be your best friend. When we passed her she had a magnetic sign on her car door with her Doula business name and #. Like I said, she would be your BFF!!

11:13 AM  
Blogger Leslie Behunin said...

p.s. In looking at the title of this entry it made me wonder, have you seen the movie, 'Raising Arizona'? It's HILARIOUS!! A must see on a night you want some redneck humor!

5:22 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home