Wednesday, March 25, 2009

Bragging Rights!

So I'm the mom, I gave birth to them, so I get to blog about their accomplishments, right?
That's what I thought you'd say, so here I go:
First, Kyra!
She'd been chosen to represent her school at the regional drama competition in the pantomime category. She and her partner had done quite a bit of practice and prep, and the competition was Tuesday afternoon. Unfortunately, it isn't something parents get to go to - they are just performing in a small room before a panel of judges.
But she got an overall superior rating and will advance to the state competition! YAY KYRA!
Here is the medal she won:

Being a typical teenager, she wouldn't even reenact the pantomime for me to take blog pictures, sorry!
And now, CALLIE!
She had the Central Utah Science and Engineering Fair today. And THIS I got to go to! And you know what that means, right? PICTURES!

She had worked very hard to improve her project, conducting 2 follow-up experiments, revising the display, practicing for the interview, etc.
The judging was in the morning. She was interviewed 3 times by 3 different judges, including one who was a physics professor at BYU, which really WOWed Callie. When I arrived, she was just finishing the last interview, so I snuck a picture:

Then Callie got some lunch and we wandered around looking at other projects. They had some people standing in the hallway with a contraption that made bubbles filled with the fog from dry ice. The kids were all crowded around getting the bubbles dropped on their hands or head. When the bubbles popped, the fog went everywhere!



Then we watched a "mad scientist" show. They made lots of bubbly foam, played around with ph and air pressure, blew smoke rings, etc. I got a few pictures, but the lighting was really bad!


And then she asked for a volunteer and picked Callie:

She had Callie sit on a flat wooden board with handles. It had a hole where she attached a leaf blower and it forced air under the board and made Callie hover over the floor. The first pictures I took were really blurry. For some reason I like this one anyway:

But then I turned on the flash and got one where you don't feel dizzy looking at it:

After that show, we hiked clear across campus (from the Harman Building to the JSB) for the awards ceremony. Callie had been considered for a special award for "Best Use of the Metric System" but did not win that one. She did get a 4th place award for the Physics category! She got a certificate, a trophy, and a check for $15! She was happy. I was happy. It was a great day.

And Brynn? Her greatest accomplishment this week was talking me into a pair of cute pink church shoes she didn't really need. But they match her Easter dress, so I caved. You'll have to wait until Easter for pictures of that!

3 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Congratulations to Kyra and Callie!

Huzzah for Kyra! i'm so glad you did well with your theatre pantamine!!!!!!!!!!!

And to Callie: I remember when i got to go to State Science fair! My experiment was with popcorn! Keep on keeping on with your science! You can do wonderful things someday!

~Feffy (Kyra's insane friend)

3:59 PM  
Blogger Spencer said...

Way to go, everybody!! You are all so wonderful and smart!

7:17 PM  
Anonymous Feffy said...

PS also congratulations to Brynn. New shoes are the best! ;D

7:25 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home